ABBYY Mobile OCR Engine
High Quality and Accuracy of Mobile Recognition
ABBYY Mobile OCR Engine is based on a world-renowned OCR FineReader technology, which provides high quality and accuracy of mobile recognition of images. A number of sophisticated functions available in the SDK ensure the high quality of processing:
- Automatic image skew correction function. When you take photographs with a mobile device camera or scan images with a portable scanner on-the-run, image skews occur fairly often, which has a negative impact on the recognition quality. ABBYY Mobile OCR Engine 4.0 allows detection and correction of skews within one degree of precision, which results in a significant improvement of the quality and accuracy of mobile OCR.
- Document orientation detection function. Image pre-processing automatically detects the orientation of a page of text to be recognized (if it is sideways or upside down).
- Hyphenation support. If the engine encounters a part of a hyphenated word (e.g. Mon-) on one line and the second part (e.g. day) on the next line, it will join them into one (Monday).
- Confidence level indicator. This function shows the level of certainty for recognized text, allowing developers to set flexible criteria for implementation of proofreading and verification functions.
- Improved data analysis algorithm. Thanks to the image processing algorithm, Data Analysis discards all the unnecessary information in the image and thus provides more accurate recognition on mobile devices.
- Spell checking during text recognition also considerably improves the quality of the output text.
Low Resource Requirements
The ABBYY Mobile OCR Engine is a compact code OCR technology and is optimized to work with small memory size systems ( smartphones, tablets or portable scanners):
Upgraded memory management. The new algorithm for memory management allows the system to determine the exact memory size required to process an image. This eliminates the necessity to allocate significant memory segments in advance, which has an impact on the recognition speed and the application’s capability to work reliably, ensuring efficiency and fast performance speed.
SDK code is very compact. It occupies from 8 MB of ROM and from 10 MB of RAM or more (depending on the desired functionality).
Capabilities of Business Card Recognition
ABBYY Mobile OCR Engine is more than a high-accuracy text recognition technology: it also makes it possible to process business card images obtained with mobile device cameras or portable scanners. This function allows retrieving information from business card images, such as first name, last name, position of the cardholder, various types of phone numbers, e-mail, company name, Web site and postal address of the company. Business Card Reading technology allows to recognize business cards in 23 languages.
ABBYY Mobile OCR Engine supports recognition of popular types of 1D and 2D barcodes. See The Full List of Supported Barcodes.
More Recognition Languages
ABBYY Mobile OCR Engine 4.0 provides text recognition in 61 languages, which meets the requirements of developers all over the world:
Innovative Data Analysis Algorithm
The data analysis algorithm of ABBYY Mobile OCR Engine 4.0 allows faster text recognition and provides the output text in a format as close as possible to the format of the source document:
Preserving multi-column text. In the previous versions of ABBYY Mobile OCR Engine, text was recognized left to right top to bottom strictly, which resulted in placing all the recognized data into one linear massive. ABBYY Mobile OCR Engine 4.0 has a function called «Paragraph Assembly», thanks to which the Document Analysis identifies text block borders and recognizes each block separately, recognizing text left to right and top to bottom only within a separate block, thus preserving the format of a multi-column text, paragraphs, and text segmenting.
Preserving Character Fonts. ABBYY Mobile OCR Engine identifies the font properties of a source text, i.e. «bold type», «italic» or «underlined».
Two Recognition Modes
ABBYY Mobile OCR Engine is a flexible and convenient technology that allows you to change its setting depending on the objective and the set of goals. You can select one of the two mobile recognition modes:
Fast mode of express recognition – it is most convenient when the image is of good quality and allows cutting down the time required for its recognition and processing.
Full mode for accurate recognition – it is best for low-quality images, when more time is required to achieve the optimal result.