Supported recognition languages
ABBYY FineReader Engine 12 provides support for the highest number of recognition languages on the market. It offers recognition of languages with Latin, Cyrillic, Greek or Armenian characters, as well as Arabic, Burmese (technical preview), Farsi, Hebrew, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Thai and other languages. To further increase the recognition accuracy, integrated dictionaries are provided for many languages. To increase recognition of unusual words and untypical fonts, a small integrated utility can be used for implementing own dictionaries and creating own character patterns.
In addition, the SDK provides recognition of historic documents printed between 17th and 19th century in English, French, German, Italian and Spanish, recognition of artificial languages (Esperanto, Interlingua, Ido and Occidenal, recognition of programming languages (Basic, C/C++, COBOL, Fortran, JAVA, and Pascal), simple chemical formulas and standard digits. In total, ABBYY FineReader Engine supports 208 OCR and 126 ICR languages.
ABBYY FineReader Engine 12 recognizes 202 OCR languages, including:
- 47 main languages with Latin, Cyrillic, Greek or Armenian characters, for which the FineReader Engine provides dictionary support: Armenian (Eastern, Western, Grabar), Bashkir, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch (Netherlands and Belgium), English, Estonian, Finnish, French, German (new and old spelling), Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Indonesian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Norwegian (Nynorsk and Bokmal), Polish, Portuguese (Portugal and Brazil), Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Tatar, Turkish, and Ukrainian.
- Japanese, Korean and Hangul with dictionary support, Chinese (PRC and Taiwan).
- Thai with dictionary support.
- Hebrew with dictionary support, Yiddish.
- Arabic with dictionary support, Farsi.
- Latin, Azerbaijani (Latin), Russian (old spelling) with dictionary support.
- 5 FineReader XIX languages with dictionary support, for recognition of old European documents printed in the 17th-19th centuries: English, French, German, Italian and Spanish.
- 136 additional languages with Latin, Cyrillic, or Greek characters: Abkhaz, Adyghian, Afrikaans, Agul, Albanian, Altaic, Avar, Aymara, Azerbaijani (Cyrillic), Azerbaijani (Latin), Basque, Belarusian, Bemba, Blackfoot, Breton, Bugotu, Buryat, Cebuano, Chamorro, Chechen, Chukchee, Chuvash, Congo, Corsican, Crimean Tatar, Crow, Dakota, Dargwa, Dungan, Eskimo (Cyrillic), Eskimo (Latin), Even, Evenki, Faeroese, Fijian, Frisian, Friulian, Gagauz, Galician, Ganda, German (Luxemburg), Guarani, Hani, Hausa, Hawaiian, Icelandic, Ingush, Irish, Jingpo, Kabardian, Kalmyk, Karachay-balkar, Karakalpak, Kasub, Kawa, Kazakh, Khakass, Khanty, Kikuyu, Kirghiz, Koryak, Kpelle, Kumyk, Kurdish, Lak, Latin, Latvian Gothic, Lezgi, Luba, Macedonian, Malagasy, Malay, Malinke, Maltese, Mansy, Maori, Mari, Maya, Miao, Minangkabau, Mohawk, Moldavian, Mongol, Mordvin, Nahuatl, Nenets, Nivkh, Nogay, Nyanja, Ojibway, Old Slavonic, Ossetian, Papiamento, Provencal, Quechua, Rhaeto-Romanic, Romany, Rundi, Russian (old spelling), Rwanda, Sami (Lappish), Samoan, Scottish Gaelic, Selkup, Serbian (Cyrillic), Serbian (Latin), Shona, Somali, Sorbian, Sotho, Sunda, Swahili, Swazi, Tabasaran, Tagalog, Tahitian, Tajik, Turkmen (Latin), Tok Pisin, Tongan, Tswana, Tun, Turkmen, Tuvinian, Udmurt, Uigur (Cyrillic), Uigur (Latin), Uzbek (Cyrillic), Uzbek (Latin), Vietnamese, Welsh, Wolof, Xhosa, Yakut, Zapotec, Zulu.
- Urdu, Pashto.
- Burmese (technical preview).
- 4 artificial languages: Esperanto, Interlingua, Ido, and Occidental.
- 6 programming languages: Basic, C/C++, COBOL, Fortran, JAVA, and Pascal.
- Simple chemical formulas.
- Tools for creating user-defined languages.
Some languages are available as an add-on to the basic set of languages included into a standard license.
ICR (only for Windows)
ABBYY FineReader Engine 12 for Windows provides ICR technology — hand-printed character recognition for more than 125 languages, including:
- 39 languages with morphology/dictionary support (languages with Latin, Cyrillic, and Greek alphabets).
- 86 languages with Latin characters without dictionary support.
- Arabic ICR digits.
ABBYY FineReader Engine 12 provides BCR technology — business card recognition for 26 languages:
- Czech, Danish, Dutch (Netherlands), English, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Norwegian, Norwegian (Bokmal), Norwegian (Nynorsk), Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, Japanese, Korean
Message boxes such as error messages tips and warnings are available in English, Bulgarian, Czech, Chinese (PRC and Taiwan), Danish, Dutch, Estonian, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, and Ukrainian.