We respect your privacy and pay great attention to the protection of your personal data. This Policy helps you to understand:
- what personal data we collect
- why we collect it
- what we do with it
The information below will elaborate on these three topics. Please read it carefully as it is very important. Our goal is to present the description and the handling of your personal data concisely, using clear and simple language to make this policy quick and easy to read and understand.
If you need the definition of certain terms such as “Cookie”, or “IP,” please consult our vocabulary. We also marked certain parts of the document to better explain certain topics. Just click on the dot and you will receive more information. In any case, if you have a question or complaint, please contact us via the link here.
Information you give ABBYY
Many of our products ask you to register with us. If you register, you will give us your personal dataAny information that can identify you or that is known to be information about you. such as name or e-mail address for creating your account. If you choose to register with our blogs or forums, we might also ask you to create a publicly visible profile that may include your name, age and a photo. Providing this information will allow you to post reviews and to participate in our discussion forums.
Information for delivering our products
You send us information which may contain personal data when you use our products. This information may contain personal data that you decided to send us.
News and marketing information
We sometimes give you the ability to take part in surveys where we ask you to give us such information as e-mail address and your feedback about our products and websites. We may also ask you to subscribe to receive newsletters about our productsExample
• news or important information about your account and our products you have
• information on special offers, products that we think may be of interest to you
• information on your participation in events, programs, surveys or to request your feedback on our products or websites. If and to the extent you give your consent, we can also send you marketing materials. You may prevent us from sending you any or all future marketing materials by clicking on the unsubscribe link displayed in the footer of every marketing email we send to you, or by contacting us here. Where we permit selected third parties to use your data, we (or they) will contact you by electronic means only if you have consented to such contact. If you consent to us using your personal data in this way, or to passing your details to third parties for marketing purposes, please tick the relevant box situated on the form on which we collect your data (the registration form).
Support and Request information
You send us information which may contain personal data when you want us to help you with one of our products or to receive information about ABBYY and/or our products.
Information that ABBYY receives from your use of our products and websites
We collect information about our products and websites that you use and how you use them. For example, when you use the product that we call FineReader for document recognitionOur product converts scans and images into plain text that you can further edit using a word processor and use for your purposes., visit our websites and use our mobile applications:
We may collect and store information on your device using local storage of your browser or application.
DeviceA computer that you use to acquire our products or visit our websites. For example, it can be a desktop computer, notebook, smartphone or tablet. information
We collect information about your device (such as type and version of your browser and operating system, type and model of your device, unique identifiersA combination of characters or symbols that is associated with your device by the manufacturer that can be used for identification of that device. There are many examples of such identifiers: Android_id or UDID (unique device identifier), IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) for mobile phones or various identifiers of social networks or advertising companies. One device may have several unique identifiers. Unique identifiers have different lifespans. Some of them may be easily accessible to you, while others are not. Unique identifiers can be used for various purposes – from providing a mobile version of a website if you use a mobile phone to detect fraud, provide security and show relevant advertisement on the basis of analysis of your preferences and behaviour when you visit a website from you device. about your device). We may associate your identifiersThis helps us customize our products or websites to a specific device that you use and to your preferences. This also allows us to understand what types of devices users prefer so that we can focus on improving our products or websites for these devices with your other information that we have collected.
When you use our products or review the information we send you, we automatically collect and store certain information in server logsWhen you visit our websites, our servers automatically record the page requests made. Usually such logs include your web request, Internet Protocol address, type and language of your browser, time of your request and text that can identify your browser. Here is an example of a typical log entry where the search is for “flexicapture”, followed by a breakdown of its parts:
05.02.2010 10:29:41 GET /search/ searchText=flexicaptureMozilla/5.0+(Windows+NT+10.0;+Win64;+x64)+AppleWebKit/537.36+(KHTML,+like+Gecko)+Chrome/65.0.323252.181+Safari/537.36 https://www.abbyy.com/lp/sdk/licensing-pricing/1002.752.7.19434
∙ 05.02.2010 10:29:41 is the date and time of the query;
∙ GET /search/ searchText=flexicapture is the requested path, including method and the search query;
∙ Mozilla/5.0+(Windows+NT+10.0;+Win64;+x64)+AppleWebKit/537.36+(KHTML,+like+Gecko)+Chrome/65.0.323252.181+Safari/537.36 is the browser and operating system being used;
∙ https://www.abbyy.com/lp/sdk/licensing-pricing/ is the URL-address of the webpage that linked to the resource being requested.
∙ 1002.752.7.19434 is the Internet Protocol address assigned to the user by the user’s ISP;
depending on the user’s service, a different address may be assigned to the user by their service provider each time they connect to the Internet.. This includes:
- information how you used our products and websites
- Internet Protocol (IP) addressWhen you use a device online, it receives an Internet protocol address (IP). It looks like a combination of numbers (188.8.131.52.01) Usually, this combination depends on the location from where you use your device online. It means that the IP can also be used to identify your location.
crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type and language, the date and time of your request and referral URL. about your device
A cookie is a small text file. When you visit our websites, they ask your browser to put and store a cookie on your device to remember such information as your language or location to understand your preferences and customize the design of our websites for you. Cookies cannot read data from your device and cannot download information from any other cookies created by other websites. that may uniquely identify your browser or your product account
We use your IP address and the other log information to determine your location to understand what language to use for you and for statistical purposes to improve our products and websites.
Unique application numbers
Our products usually have a unique identification numberExample
It can be Application_ID or License Serial Number, install_ID or uninstall_ID. We use such identifiers to protect you and us. For example, you bought product to process 100 pages. When you used all 100 pages, such identifiers will tell us to stop providing you our product. They also protect you from other persons who wants to use your product. Identifiers idenitfy your device and allow us to prohibit other persons from using or accessing your product account from their devices.. This number can be sent to us from your device when you launch, register and install or uninstall a specific product. Our product periodically connects to our servers for automatic updates or sends statistical informationWe may receive such details as how often you use our product or the amount of product you have used. We use it to understand what features of our product we should improve, how to improve your experience and for fraud detection. We can also use statistical information for calculating your payments for our different products you have used. about your use of our product.
We will use the information we collect from all of our products and websites to deliver,
When you have a question about the functionality of our product, you send us that question with information about faults, errors or bugs to fix. We also check our servers to work properly. If a server has shut down or has errors, unusual work peaks, we can look at server logs to understand what caused the problem and fix it., protectExample
We collect IP addresses to protect our products and websites against online attacks like Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks. We can also check server logs to analyze the roots of such attack. and improveExample
We use information for training our products to better understand existing font types or languages contained within your information during your use of our products. We can also use it to train our products to understand new information we receive from you to provide new functions in our products. them and developExample
When you send information to use products, we analyze it to understand what new products we should create to satisfy your needs. new products and to protectExample
We collect install identifier to protect us from fraud. We collect account details to protect your access to products and your information. us, our partners and users.
Below is the detailed list of the purposes we use this information:
- to provide you information, products and technical support that you request from us
- to let you know about changes to our products and websites
- to provide you information about other similar products we have
- to perform any agreement we have with you
- to comply with laws and regulations that are applicable to us
- to improve and check our websites so that that it will be convenient for you and your device to view content of our websites
- to monitor
potentially illegal activitiesExample
bribery, fraud, misconduct, breaches of legislation, breaches of financial accounting, auditing, and reporting.
- to enable you take part into interactive features of our websites when you choose to do so
- to keep our websites safe and secure
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we send you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you
- to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our websites about our products
- to test and analyze statistics and survey results
We will not use or otherwise process your personal data for any other purposes, unless you provide us with your additional consent before such use. We do not use your personal data for profilingAutomated processing of personal data consisting of the use of personal data to evaluate certain personal aspects relating to you, for example, to analyse or predict aspects concerning your personal preferences, interests, behavior. or other automated decision making without human intervention.
For external processing
We may share your personal data with our affiliatesThe following legal entities that belong to the ABBYY Group of companies:
• ABBYY USA Software House, Inc. located in the United States of America
• ABBYY Australia Pty Ltd. located in Australia
• ABBYY Japan Co., Ltd. located in Japan
• ABBYY Production LLC located in Russia
• Tri-Pod LLC located in Ukraine
• ABBYY Solutions Ltd. located in Cyprus and trusted third partiesExample
market research firms, marketing services providers and advertising agencies who have knowledge about marketing and can help us communicate more effectively with our users.
We may anonymize personal data from all of our users and provide that fully anonymized informationExample
We use IP addresses of our users to understand where they are when they visit our websites. Then we sum up and have statistics that 30% of our users visited websites from Germany or Italy. to our manufacturers and advertisers for marketing and promotional purposesExample
• To understand what languages should be used in marketing materials
• To target the location of our advertising based on statistics
• To show manufacturers that our products are popular in a location and encourage them to work with ABBYY in that location.
We share some of your personal data with our affiliates to provide, supportExample
When you ask us for difficult technical support, we may send your request to an affiliate that has sufficient qualifications to help you. In that case, we will share such information as your product license number to identify features of a product you use, your contact data to communicate with you directly to resolve your issue and necessary information you provided to resolve your issue., protectExample
We collect IP addresses to protect our products and websites against online attacks on them like Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks. We can also check server logs to analyze the roots of such attack., improveExample
We share information for training our products to better understand existing font types or languages of contained within your information during your use of our products. We can also share information to train our products to understand new information we receive from you to provide new functions in our products. and developExample
We may send statistical information about your use of our products to our affiliates to analyze what new products we should create to satisfy your needs. our products and websites.
We may let trusted partnersExample
market research firms, marketing services providers and advertising agencies who have knowledge about marketing and can help us communicate more effectively with our users. access some of non-sensitive personal dataInformation that does not result in a high risk to you. Such information includes IP address, email, telephone number, name and last name. to perform the servicesExample
• We may allow technical support companies to access some of the non-sensitive personal data such as IP address, first name, last name, telephone number, email address to answer your questions and help you with our products and websites.
• We may also use companies who give us different programs and application to analyze your behavior on our websites. for which they need this personal data.
For legal grounds
In some circumstancesWhen it is necessary under the applicable law, we must share information with law enforcement bodies such as courts, police and tax bodies. Our lawyers review such requests and we sometimes do not share information when a request is overbroad, not specific or violates the official procedure., it may become necessary for us to share your information with a government authorityExample
Courts, police, tax bodies..
We will share information with these state authorities, partners, companies, persons or others when we feel that it is reasonably necessary to:
- Comply with applicable lawsWhen it is necessary under the applicable law, we must share information with law enforcement bodies such as courts, police and tax bodies. Our lawyers review such requests and we sometimes do not share information when a request is overbroad, not specific or violates the official procedure., legal actions or lawful request of state authorities
We may share information about you with courts and other state bodies to protect us and others against fraud. We may also defend safety and security of our users against somebody who wants to crash our websites or products. We may also share information when we sell or buy a business or in the case of bankruptcy. our rights, property or safety, our users or others under the applicable laws
Fulfil our obligationsExample
If you do not pay for a not-for-free product, we may enforce our rights in court. under our agreement with you
- Check, prevent and investigate fraud, security or technical issues
ABBYY is a
companyWe have offices throughout the world. with a global presence, therefore we may share your personal data with
our affiliatesNext entities that belong to ABBYY Group of companies:
ABBYY USA Software House, Inc. located in the United States of America
ABBYY Australia Pty Ltd. located in Australia
ABBYY Japan Co., Ltd. located in Japan
ABBYY Production LLC located in Russia
Tri-Pod LLC located in Ukraine
ABBYY Solutions Ltd. located in Cyprus and partners. Some of them are located in countriesThe United States of America, Australia, Russia, Ukraine, Japan. outside the European Economic Area ("EEA"). To know more about transfers of personal data outside the EEA, click here.
In these cases after these data transfers, your personal data may be subject to the laws of other countries, where the data protection may not be as comprehensive as your country of residence. Before we will send your personal data outside of the EEA, we and our affiliates and partners will use the following appropriate legal safeguards to protect your personal data so that these data transfers are in full compliance
with applicable data protection lawsExample
To ensure that the service providers provide adequate data protection if they store your personal data in the United States.:
- Standard Contractual Clauses adopted by European Commission
- EU-US Privacy Shield
- Binding Corporate Rules
Click on any of them to receive additional information.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal data transmitted to our website; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorized access.
Your personal data may be disclosed in response to inquiries or requests from government authorities in the countries in which we operate.
- We use
reasonable security measuresExample
• We limit access to personal data to our employees and service providers who need to use it for their duties only and who are subject to confidentiality requirements. Our employees have passwords and cards for access to information. If they fail their duty of confidentiality, we can terminate their services or control their subsequent access and/or impose fines on them.
• We use firewall and malware protection to protect information against various attacks and viruses. Although we take reasonable precautions to assess the reliability of such technology, we rely on the statements of the technology vendors as part of its security evaluation. to protect the information we have against loss, theft and unauthorized use, disclosure or modification
- We continuously analyze and check our procedures of collection, storage, and use of information including trainings of our staff
- We use encryptionWe code your information so that we use a secret key to read this information. Only we know that key. For example, we use Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS) to protect connection between your device and our server. for many of our products
Please note that although we work hard to protect security of our products and websites, the confidentiality of any communication or material sent to or from our products and websites cannot be guaranteed. We ask you to take every precaution to protect your personal data when you are on the Internet.
We do not knowingly collect information about children and do not sell or market our products intentionally to minors. Our products are for business and corporate needs. If a child whom we know to be under 16 sends personal data to us, we will use that data only to respond directly to that child to inform him or her that we must have parental consent before receiving his or her personal data.
affiliatesABBYY USA Software House, Inc. ABBYY UK Ltd., but it excludes the products and websites that fall under
separate privacy policieshttps://www.abbyy.com/privacy/?version=default
Under the EU General Data Protection Regulation you have the following individual rights related to your personal data:
- Enhanced right to information and transparency
- Right of access
- Right of rectification
- Right to objection
- Right to erasure or “right to be forgotten”
- Right to restriction
- Right to data portability
Right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority:
Tel: +0981 531300
To request information about how we use or share your personal data, exert any other right under applicable data protection law, or to raise a complaint or ask a general question related to data processing by us, you can contact us at: