ABBYY announced the new release of ABBYY Recognition Server, the award-winning server-based software for automated, unattended document conversion. The latest release offers new functions for more-efficient conversion of large archives, plus enhanced Microsoft® SharePoint® integration that allows turning images in SharePoint-based document libraries into searchable content. The new version also offers advanced PDF creation capabilities, new fault-tolerance mechanisms, and enhanced Arabic optical character recognition (OCR).
New Release Offers Extended PDF Capabilities, Direct SharePoint Integration and Robust Architecture
ABBYY®, a leading provider of document recognition, data capture and linguistic technologies and services, today announced the new release of ABBYY Recognition Server, the award-winning server-based software for automated, unattended document conversion. The latest release offers new functions for more-efficient conversion of large archives, plus enhanced Microsoft® SharePoint® integration that allows turning images in SharePoint-based document libraries into searchable content. The new version also offers advanced PDF creation capabilities, new fault-tolerance mechanisms, and enhanced Arabic optical character recognition (OCR).
“While organizations are increasingly going digital to consume, share and store information, paper documents are still prevalent throughout enterprise environments,” said Aram Pakhchanian, director of Data Capture Products at ABBYY. “Recognition Server enables businesses to handle large volumes of documents more efficiently than ever, and quickly turn unstructured images, and entire document libraries, into searchable and usable information.”
Designed for mid- to high-volume document processing, ABBYY Recognition Server enables organizations and scanning service providers to establish cost-efficient processes for converting paper and image documents into electronic files suitable for search and long-term digital archiving. It automatically obtains images of documents from scanners, file servers, fax and e-mail servers, and Microsoft SharePoint libraries. It recognizes content of document images in more than 190 languages and allows adding metadata. With its distributed and highly scalable architecture, Recognition Server can convert virtually any number of documents in a short time.
Key new features include:
- Processing Documents from Archives and Microsoft SharePoint Libraries – ABBYY Recognition Server can now traverse a tree of nested folders or a document library in Microsoft SharePoint, convert discovered image files into searchable formats, and reproduce the entire library in a searchable form. Newly added files that appear in the library can be processed automatically. Thanks to its enhanced integration with Microsoft SharePoint, ABBYY Recognition Server can convert document images and scanned PDFs directly within SharePoint libraries, making work with documents more effective for SharePoint users.
- Enhanced Robustness and Fault Tolerance — With the addition of an SQLite database and enhanced fault tolerance mechanisms, ABBYY Recognition Server has become even more robust and able to consistently handle high workloads or serve multiple clients within one installation. This makes the software perfectly suitable for extensive and enterprise-wide document conversion projects.
- Smarter PDF Conversion — During PDF conversion, ABBYY Recognition Server can intelligently detect PDF files that require OCR processing while leaving untouched PDFs that already have a text layer. When converting PDF files into archiving formats such as searchable PDF or PDF/A, ABBYY Recognition Server will inject a text layer into them while keeping intact the image quality, metadata, bookmarks, annotations, attachments, and other features of the original document. ABBYY Recognition Server also extends support for digital archiving standards by supporting PDF/A-2a, PDF/A-2b and PDF/A-2u formats.
- Faster Arabic OCR — Along with a general improvement of OCR accuracy and speed, ABBYY Recognition Server delivers up to 20 percent* faster processing of Arabic texts and up to 10 percent* more accurate results on office documents and books in Arabic.
- Easier User Management — To further reduce administration efforts, permissions for different tasks such as administration, verification and indexing can now be assigned via Active Directory user groups.
ABBYY Recognition Server is available worldwide through ABBYY regional offices and our partner channel. For detailed product information, please contact your local ABBYY office or visit www.abbyy.com/recognition_server.
*According to internal ABBYY testing. Accuracy and formatting results can vary depending on factors such as document quality and scanner settings.