ABBYY FineReader Engine 11 introduces various enhancements including an API for automatic document classification; a new business card recognition capability; extended PDF export, enhanced image preprocessing, improved Word and Excel export; and native 64 bit and easier Java integration. It is available for the Windows, Linux and Mac platforms.
Automatic Document Classification, Business Card Recognition and Extended PDF Features Added to Industry-Leading Offering; Available on Windows, Linux and Mac Development Platforms
ABBYY®, a leading provider of document recognition, data capture and linguistic software and services, today announced the release of FineReader Engine 11, the newest edition of its optical character recognition (OCR) software development kit (SDK). ABBYY FineReader Engine 11 introduces various enhancements including an API for automatic document classification; a new business card recognition capability; extended PDF export, enhanced image preprocessing, improved Word and Excel export; and native 64 bit and easier Java integration. The industry-leading SDK delivers high accuracy OCR for more than 200 languages including improved recognition of Arabic. It is available for the Windows, Linux and Mac platforms.
“ABBYY has long been committed to pushing the envelope on OCR performance and accuracy, and FineReader Engine 11 represents the culmination of this effort,” stated Andrey Isaev, director of Technology Products Department at ABBYY. “The latest generation of our SDK brings together numerous enhancements that software vendors have been asking for to satisfy the challenges their customers are facing. It also raises the bar on accuracy and language support, enabling development teams to not only save time and money themselves, but pass it onto their own customers, making them more competitive.”
New features and enhancements in ABBYY FineReader Engine 11 include:
- Automatic Document Classification — via combination of content- and image-based classification technologies the application can detect what document types are being processed, so developers can easily sort a batch of mixed documents automatically.
- Business Card Recognition — full-feature business card recognition technology is now accessible through an API, enabling developers to incorporate data extraction and export into their applications.
- Extended PDF Export — for further support and compliance with archiving standards, the FineReader Engine now provides export to PDF/A-2, a format which enables saving to smaller file size that leads to reduced storage space for long term archiving, and PDF/A-3*, which enables inclusion of binary format such as XML or Microsoft® Word. Additional PDF processing enhancements include improved MRC compression, PDF bookmark preservation and increased export speed.
- Improved Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean OCR — this version offers Arabic OCR that is twice as accurate and three times faster than it was in FineReader Engine 10, as well as improved speed and accuracy for Japanese, Korean and Chinese traditional and simplified documents.**
- Improved Word and Excel® Export — improved layout retention and font detection in Word and Excel documents during export.
- Native 64-bit and Simplified Java Integration — improved 64-bit support allows developers to take full advantage of 64-bit hardware; and new implementation-ready Java classes eliminate the need for significant coding to create wrappers for Java applications.
- Enhanced Image Preprocessing Tools — improved algorithms for geometrical distortions correction, new auto-cropping and background lightening features, and better ISO noise removal ensure more accurate recognition results, especially when documents are captured with cameras in mobile devices and processed in an OCR back-end system.
About ABBYY FineReader Engine
The newest enhancements build upon an industry-leading platform delivering robust, highly accurate document recognition and PDF conversion technologies. The ABBYY FineReader Engine family of software development toolkits enables independent software vendors, system integrators, and in-house development teams to integrate machine print (OCR), handprint (ICR), mark (OMR) and barcode recognition technologies into new or existing applications or business processes. ABBYY solutions support recognition and conversion of full pages or selected zones that have a variety of applications such as conversion of paper archives and creation of digital libraries, creation of searchable texts for insertion into document workflows, as well as extraction of key text for input into databases and other back-end systems.
ABBYY FineReader Engine 11 is immediately available for integration into applications running on Windows, Linux and Mac platforms. ABBYY offers flexible licensing options, as well as dedicated technical support and detailed documentation, enabling developers and OEMs to easily incorporate OCR functionality into their applications and devices.
To learn more about ABBYY FineReader Engine 11, please visit http://www.abbyy.com/ocr_sdk/.
* Export to PDF/A-3 will be supported in the 2nd release of ABBYY FineReader Engine 11.
** According to internal ABBYY testing. Accuracy results can vary depending on factors such as document quality and scanner settings.